Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It all started.....




....when my granddaughter, Maeve at 4 1/2 years old, got up in my lap at my brother's 50th birthday party to tell me that she was going to Disney World. Being the Grammy that I am, I was so excited for her and asked her who she was going with. Imagine my surprise when she announced, "Why, with you and Pa!" Of course, Pa and I didn't know anything about this, but the more we thought about it, the more it seemed like a great thing to do.

So, a tradition was born.

When each of the grandchildren reach their fifth birthdays, they get a 3-night/4-day trip to Disney World with us - just us. No parents. No siblings. No cousins. Just one child and the two of us. It's been so much fun for us to see the wonder in their eyes as they step onto the Magical Express that takes us to our hotel.

Four years ago, we took Maeve. What an experience with a little girl. It was all about the Disney princesses, getting character autographs and pictures, and spending most of our time at the Magic Kingdom. I thought she was going to hyperventilate when she saw Minnie Mouse for the first time. She was also the kid who wanted to spend time at Animal Kingdom.

Then two years later it was Truman's time to go. He was all about the Monorail and Epcot Center. I spent an entire afternoon just riding the Monorail to everyplace it would take us. He also loved "Talking with Crush" at Epcot Center.

This year we took Ian, and what a difference his experience was. It was rides, rides, and more rides. He especially loved the Buzz Lightyear ride at the Magic Kingdom, but his very favorite was the Star Wars ride and the Indiana Jones stunt show at Hollywood Studios. Ian is a big Star Wars and Indiana Jones fan, and he loved sitting atop a star fighter for pictures.

I'll be sharing some of our insider tips with you later. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment